None of us want to harm the planet but all actions create an impact. We aim to make our environmental impact as light as possible and on balance, positive.
1. Email Hippo recognises that it has a responsibility to the environment beyond legal and regulatory requirements. We are committed to reducing our environmental impact and continually improving our environmental performance as an integral part of our business strategy and operating practices. And let’s be clear, this policy isn’t simply about business, it’s about our performance as a team of thoughtful people.
1.1 We endeavour to:
- comply with and exceed all relevant regulatory requirements.
- continually improve and reduce environmental impacts.
- incorporate environmental factors into business decisions.
- increase employee awareness, involvement and training.
- encourage customers, suppliers and other stakeholders to do the same.
1.2 This policy will be reviewed at our management meetings and any related business issues will be discussed at our weekly team meetings.
2. Specifically we will:
2.1 Energy and water
- seek to reduce the amount of energy used as much as possible.
- switch off lights and electrical equipment when not in use.
- adjust heating with energy consumption in mind.
- consider the energy consumption and efficiency of products when purchasing.
2.2 Office supplies
- minimise the use of paper and consumables in the office.
- buy recycled and recyclable paper products whenever possible.
- evaluate if renting/sharing is an option before purchasing equipment.
- evaluate the environmental impact of any new products we intend to purchase.
- favour more environmentally friendly and efficient products wherever possible.
- reuse and recycle everything we are able to.
- reduce the need to travel, restricting to necessity trips only.
- favour travel alternatives such as e-mail or video/phone conferencing and encourage suppliers, customers and contacts and other stakeholders to do the same.
- accommodate the needs of those using public transport or bicycles.
- accommodate and encourage employees to work flexibly, reducing the need for them to travel to and from the office.
- use forms of transport that are environmentally preferable, for instance trains rather than planes; electric rather than petrol hire cars.
2.4 Maintenance and cleaning
- use environmentally friendly cleaning materials.
- use materials in office refurbishments which are as environmentally friendly as possible.
- use local labour and materials where available to reduce CO2 and help the community.
- only use licensed and appropriate organisations to dispose of waste.
3. Pro-active support of positive environmental initiatives
We will extend our sphere of influence by seeking to support companies that are engaged in environmental initiatives. We will do this whilst retaining a sustainable business model. To this end we will develop relationships with and support a number of organisations with either direct sponsorship, financial support or support in kind.